Stay Safe During a Hurricane
Posted by: Communications Team | August 18, 2015
Smart preparations help protect homeowners in peak hurricane season
Houston, Texas (August 18th, 2015) – Now through late October is considered peak hurricane season. To help homeowners keep their families and their property safe during a hurricane, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency offers tips to help prepare.
Hurricane preparation tips:“Being prepared in advance and taking the appropriate actions to protect your family and property can help to prevent or mitigate injury or losses,” said Kyle Dean, President & CEO, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency, LP. “Don’t wait for the storm to be headed your direction. Here’s a list of easy-to-do action items that can be completed well in advance and improve your odds of weathering the storm safely.”
- Create or update a home inventory. It is one of the most important, but often overlooked preparations. Homeowners’ insurance claims are more likely to be processed up to twice as quickly when customers have completed a home inventory in advance of a loss, according to The Hanover Insurance Company, a leading property and casualty insurer.
- Stock emergency supplies, including: a battery-powered radio, flashlights, extra batteries, medicines, first aid handbook and kit, and a week’s worth of non-perishable food and water. Other items to have on hand include: prescriptions, pet supplies, plastic sheeting, tape, and toiletries such as diapers.
- Secure your home: Repair loose boards, shingles, shutters, downspouts—the kind of things that could become greater problems in high winds or torrential rain. If you live near the coast, purchase and store materials you may need to board up windows.
- Bring items inside your home that could become dangerous as flying objects, including toys, grills, planters and lawn furniture.
- Purchase battery-operated carbon monoxide and smoke alarms if you have a generator you may have to use. To help ensure safe operation, take time to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Develop an evacuation plan, and know where local shelters are located. If you have a furry friend, be sure you have a list of local shelters and hotels that allow pets.
- Create a list of key telephone numbers including, family, friends, fire, police, insurance agent’s, etc. that may be needed in the event of an emergency.
- Sign up for weather alerts. Stay alert about approaching weather and follow advice from local officials to stay safe during storms.
- Review your homeowners policy with your insurance agent to determine whether you have adequate protection. In particular, consider whether you have flood insurance and if your policy will cover current rebuilding costs.
About Dean & Draper Insurance Agency
Founded in 1980, Dean & Draper caters to an international roster of clients from six offices, including its headquarters in Houston, Texas. Through a network of more than 200 diverse insurers, the independent company offers the most competitive, comprehensive policies for personal and commercial insurance needs. This National Top 100 agency in Property & Casualty and Top 50 agency in personal policies underwrites in excess of $150 million in annual auto, home, employee benefits and corporate premiums.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. Dean & Draper Insurance Agency, LP specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with Dean & Draper Insurance Agency, LP. By providing this information to you, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2015 Dean & Draper Insurance Agency, LP All Rights Reserved.