Tomorrow is yet another big holiday shopping day. Shoppertrak says sales at retail stores on Black Friday fell 10 percent this year compared to last. But according to Adobe, online sales jumped 14.3 percent on Friday. So if you’re headed into cyberspace tomorrow, we have a few tips for keeping your credit card information safe.
According to Stay Safe Online, powered by the National Cyber Security Alliance, anything connected to the Internet, including devices like smartphone and tables need to be protected – especially during heavy use periods.
Be alert for emails that want you to act quickly and click through links or open attachments. Be wary of emails about problems with your credit cards or an account or the status of an online order.
Being a safe and secure shopper starts with Stop, Think, Connect. Take security precautions, think about the consequences of your actions online and enjoy the conveniences of technology with peace of mind while you shop online. Remember these tips from Stay Safe Online during all online purchases.
Online Shopping Tips:
- Conduct research: When using a new website for purchases, read reviews and see if other consumers have had a positive or negative experience with the site.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Links in emails, posts and texts are often the ways cybercriminals try to steal your information or infect your devices.
- Personal information is like money: value it and protect it: When making a purchase online, be alert to the kinds of information being collected to complete the transaction. Make sure you think it is necessary for the vendor to request that information. Remember, you only need to fill out required fields at checkout.
- Use safe payment options:Credit cards are generally the safest option because they allow buyers to seek a credit from the issuer if the product isn’t delivered or isn’t what was ordered.
- Don’t be disappointed: Read return and other polices so you know what to expect if the purchase doesn’t go as planned.
- Protect your $$:When shopping, check to be sure the site is security enabled. Look for web addresses with https:// indicating extra measures to help secure your information.
Shopping On the Go:
- Now you see me, now you don’t: Some stores and other locations look for devices with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth turned on to track your movements while you are within range. Disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use.
- Get savvy about Wi-Fi hotspots: Limit the type of business you conduct over open public Wi-Fi connections, including logging on to key accounts, such as email and banking. Adjust the security settings on your device to limit who can access your phone.
Basic Safety and Security Tips:
- Keep a clean machine: All web-connected devices ‒ including PCs, smartphones and tablets ‒ free from malware and infections by running only the most current versions of software and apps.
- Get two steps ahead: Turn on two-step authentication ‒ also known as two-step verification or multi-factor authentication ‒ on accounts where available. It adds a layer of protection beyond logon and password.
- Make better passwords: If your passwords are weak, improve them by adding capital letters, numbers and symbols and using different passwords for every account.
For more information and tips click here.
Happy Cyber Shopping!
We hope that your shopping experience this season will be safe, successful, and rewarding. We welcome your calls with your insurance questions and are always ready to provide you with answers.
Dean & Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 35 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients. ContactUs.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. Dean & Draper Insurance Agency specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with Dean & Draper Insurance Agency. By providing this information to you, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2015 Dean & Draper Insurance Agency All Rights Reserved.