Just a few days ago the mid-season hurricane update was issued by NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service.
- 15 – 21 Expected named storms (winds of 39 mph or greater)
- 7 – 10 hurricanes (winds of 74mph or greater)
- 3 – 5 major hurricanes of the 7 – 10 hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5 with winds 111 mph or greater).
This updated outlook includes the 5 named storms that have formed so far – Ana Bill, Claudette, Danny, and Elsa. Hurricane Elsa is the earliest 5th named storm on record. The next group of names are Fred, Grace, Henri, and Ida.
NOAA scientists predict that the likelihood of an above-normal 2021 Atlantic hurricane season is 65%. There is a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
While the Atlantic Sea surface temperatures may not be as warm as the record-breaking 2020 season, an enhanced west African monsoon and reduce vertical wind shear will contribute to the factors that can increase seasonal hurricane activity.
Record Setting 2020
In last year's record-setting season, 10 storms formed in September alone. Not only did September 2020 generate the most named storms in the Atlantic in a single month, but meteorologists ran out of human names with Tropical Storm Wilfred by September 18.
Our research shows some great resources for getting ready for a hurricane. Here are some of our sources.
Dean and Draper
As a part of your hurricane preparation, if you would like to have your insurance reviewed, we a here for you with solid answers and thoughtful recommendations.
Dean & Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 36 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients. ContactUs.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. Dean & Draper Insurance Agency specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with Dean & Draper Insurance Agency. By providing this information to you, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2021 Dean & Draper Insurance Agency All Rights Reserved.