According to the Barnes & Noble Education, Inc. survey graduating seniors and recent grads are clearly optimistic about their job prospects. A May, 2020 online survey of 1,330 students shows that they are fairly optimistic about their career readiness.
In this survey conducted by Barnes & Noble College Insights, key findings include:
- Almost half of students (48%) are optimistic about finding a job within 2-6 months after graduating. Roughly equal amounts believe job searches will be shorter or longer than that – 15% expect to find a job within one month, while 14% expect it to take six months or more.
- Seeking employment is still the most common next step for students completing undergraduate programs. Within six months of graduation, 62% of students expect to work at a full-time job, 27% a part-time job, and 22% a full-time internship.
- Recent graduates are likely to keep to their expected career paths. More than half (56%) are confident they will be able to find a job in the field they want, compared to 24% who are uncertain.
Online and Virtual Learning
- More than half of students say the transition to online learning (53%) and completely virtual interactions (52%) has negatively impacted their academic confidence.
- Students report struggling to study from home, with 56% saying they are less motivated to get their work done.
- 40% saying they now spend more time on homework.
Paying for College
- Four in ten (44%) students say COVID-19 has impacted their ability to pay for college. This percentage is even higher for first-generation students, of which more than half (56%) are impacted.
- Financial security is also a big factor when weighing career prospects, as the top concern for more than half of students (66%) is being able to find a job that meets their salary needs.
- Repaying the college expenses needed to get them ready for their field is likely a major factor in this salary concern, as 58% say they are worried about being able to pay off their college debt.
Dean & Draper
As we all continue to discover yet another group of people are impacted by the Covid-19 virus, it appears that our students are strong in their positive thinking and enthusiasm for their futures.
We welcome your questions about insurance and are here with solid answers.
Dean & Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 36 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients. ContactUs.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. Dean & Draper Insurance Agency specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with Dean & Draper Insurance Agency. By providing this information to you, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2020 Dean & Draper Insurance Agency All Rights Reserved.
Source: Barnes & Noble Education