© auremar - Fotolia.com

Are your kids heading off to college and their off-campus apartment?  Here’s one more thing for you to think about – renter’s insurance.  While your homeowner’s policy usually covers students living in dormitories, off-campus housing can be a different story.

In yesterday’s post, Hannah Bender with propertycasualty360.com lists the 5 Key Truths About Renter’s Insurance and College Students along with some great tips.

Living in an off-campus apartment is a popular housing option for many college students, as it comes with greater freedom and independence.

At the same time, however, an off-campus apartment that is not affiliated with a college or university can bring new responsibilities. Often, a parent’s homeowners’ insurance policy covers students living in dormitories, but once a student moves off campus it is a whole new ballgame. Renters’ insurance, although not usually required, can be a necessity for college students. Renters’ insurance not only can protect a college student’s belongings -- which often include expensive laptops, televisions and other valuables -- but it can also provide liability protection in the event that someone is injured unintentionally on the property.  Read more... 

If you have questions about your homeowner’s policy covering student’s belongings or if you need a separate renter’s policy for off-campus housing, please call us.  We’re always here to answer your questions.  Contact Us. 

Dean & Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 34 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients.  Contact Us.