Cheryl Casey - Fotolia.com

While you probably remembered to “spring forward” by setting your clocks an hour ahead, we want to remind you to change the batteries in both your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.  Got the smoke detector?  Great!  Don’t have the carbon monoxide detector yet?  We’re sure that the information below will send you to the store right away.

Carbon monoxide poisoning sends nearly 20,000 people to the emergency room each year according to the Centers for Disease Control.  You may remember the popular Long Island restaurant where a deadly carbon monoxide leak sickened patrons and claimed the life of the manager a couple of weeks ago. 

What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?  CO is found in combustion fumes.  CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.  Some sources include:

  • Cars and trucks

  • Small gasoline engines

  • Lanterns

  • Burning charcoal and wood

  • Gas ranges

  • Heating systems

To keep you and your family safe, here are some tips and guidelines:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms & other living areas. Replace batteries regularly – like every time you change your clocks for daylight savings time.
  • We’ve been experiencing the hot, cold, hot, cold temperature cycle our area is famous for, so using your gas range or oven to heat your home may sound like a good idea.  It’s not. 
  • During Ike, we all heard those generators running in our neighborhoods.  If you’re using a generator during a power outage, keep at least 25 feet or farther away from your house.

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, nausea, or loss of consciousness.

Taking action.  If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Get outside to fresh air immediately.

  • After calling 911, do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for. DO NOT reenter the premises until the emergency services responders have given you permission. You could lose consciousness and die if you go in the home.

  • Contact a doctor immediately to confirm the diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning is causing your problems.

  • Make sure a qualified service person checks the appliances for proper operation before reusing them if CO poisoning is confirmed. 

At Dean & Draper we are invested in your safety.  For more tips and information, watch this short video from the CDC on carbon monoxide poisoning and prevention.

Dean & Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 34 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients.  ContactUs.