While the cigarette smoking rate has dropped significantly, from 42% in 1965 to 14% in 2017, more than 34 million Americans still smoke cigarettes. The American Cancer Society’s Great America Smokeout is Thursday, November 21, 2019. We want to remind you of some of the facts associated with smoking. We also want to give you some sources for support during the quitting process.
- Smoking remains the single largest preventable cause of death and illness in the world.
- Smoking causes an estimated 480,000 deaths every year, or about 1 in 5 deaths.
- More than 16 million Americans live with a smoking-related disease.
- Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States, accounting for 29% of all cancer deaths.
- Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death for men and women.
- Smoking also causes cancers of the larynx (voice box), mouth, sinuses, pharynx (throat), esophagus (swallowing tube), and bladder. It also has been linked to the development of cancers of the pancreas, cervix, ovary (mucinous), colon/rectum, kidney, stomach, and some types of leukemia.
- Cigars and pipes cause cancers, too.
For more than 40 years, the American Cancer Society has hosted the Great American Smokeout on the third Thursday of November. The Great American Smokeout is an opportunity for people who smoke to commit to healthy, smoke -free lives – not just for a day, but year-round.
The Great American Smokeout provides an opportunity for individuals, community groups, businesses, health care providers, and others to encourage people to use the date to make a plan to quit, or plan in advance and initiate a smoking cessation plan on the day of the event. The Great American Smokeout event challenges people to stop smoking and helps people learn about the many tools they can use to help them quit and stay quit.
Visit www.cancer.org to learn more about quitting smoking, improving your health, or getting involved with the Great American Smokeout in your community. Or simply call the American Cancer Society any time at 1-800-227-2345.
Dean and Draper
Thank you for taking a moment to read our blog. Yes, the information is very chilling. Our hope is that smokers will take a shot at quitting this Thursday, November 21.
Dean& Draper is a Trusted Choice insurance agency representing over 200 insurance companies. For over 35 years we have offered a trusted freedom of choice to our clients. ContactUs.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. Dean & Draper Insurance Agency specifically disclaims any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with Dean & Draper Insurance Agency. By providing this information to you, Dean & Draper Insurance Agency does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
©2019 Dean & Draper Insurance Agency All Rights Reserved.